Vero Beast III Recap
There is so much to say about Vero Beast III! This one event really exemplifies how strong our gym’s community is, as well as how mentally and physically tough you all are. Each year, it gets better and better. Even the weather was perfect, ensuring Diane’s hair looked phenomenal all day.
Fifty-five of 91 athletes competing were from CrossFit Vero Beach! For many of you, it was your first event. A few, like Emily, Arielle and Dustin, have only been CrossFitting for a few months! I know anxiety was running high, but everyone hid the nerves with big smiles and great attitudes.
The competition was STIFF! The other gyms really brought some incredible athletes and I know it was fun for our members to meet and challenging to compete alongside them. SO MANY people hit PRs in the clean and pull-ups. Those moments were awesome to watch.
At the end of the day, CFVB athletes were on each of the six podiums:
- Arielle Bagby, only 16 years old, clinched 2nd in Scaled Women’s
- Shawn Loesel, Zach Bragg (also 16) and Frank DelaCruz swept the Scaled Men’s division as 1st, 2nd and 3rd, respectively. They were each 1 point from each other.
- Andrea Geldres took home 3rd in Masters Women!
- Dolf Khale placed 1st and Chuck Sullivan was 3rd in Master’s Men…Chuck beat men almost 20 years younger!
- Liz Ponto, always a performer under pressure, came in 3rd in Rx Women just one point from Rachel Reicher (who will always be an honorary CFVBer)
- Lastly, Hans Stancil and Marco Radocaj battled it out to the end and took 1st and 2nd in Men’s Rx.
I am so proud of EVERYONE. You all pushed the limits this weekend and made Rob and I proud of the way you performed and conducted yourselves.
I am also proud of our judges. Hands-down, this was my best group to date. You all were on top of things the entire time!
Huge thanks go out to:
- Joey, Carlo, Mike and Greg who pulled all nighters to help Rob demo and get the wall down so we have more room now. This all happened two days before Vero Beast! With it all done, imagine what Vero Beast IV will be like!
- Sue and Charlie for being so accommodating with their StrikeFit room, studio, etc.
- Danya for singing an absolutely beautiful National Anthem to kick off the day
- All of the athletes who competed
- All of the sponsors who donated fantastic prizes as well as cash (this years prize packages were insane). Most of these were from our member’s businesses – you all always come through with tons of generosity.
- Each and every volunteer. This ABSOLUTELY would not happen without the scorekeepers, registration attendants, media crew, equipment crew and judges. It was a long and exhausting day and we appreciate your hard work.
Jared and Sundra took video and action shots all day, many of which are on our Facebook page now. More to come.
Cheers to Vero Beast III! Post your favorite moments to comments.
Workout of the Day
10 x 3 Push Jerk + 1 Split Jerk
5 moderate, 5 heavy sets of the complex
Power Clean 3 x 220.127.116.11.1
rest 20 seconds between reps, 3 minutes between sets
5×3 Clean Grip Deadlift
- use proper mechanics/bar path for the clean
4 x 50 m Reverse sled drag 140/90
Post your scores to the Whiteboard.