What a Difference 30 Days Makes…
First, all of you who completed this Challenge deserve a HUGE congrats! Thirty days with no sugar, alcohol, dairy, gluten, etc. is not easy. We had participants who celebrated birthdays, went away for vacation, attended reunions and business events and they stuck to the plan. By doing so, there was a huge pay-off. Every person who gave this 30 days their all by eating enough, eating the right things, cooking, planning, etc. saw significant results. That’s why is was harder than ever to choose one winner. Before I announce the overall winner, some of the “highlights” of what was reported to me is below.
- Katie (who works at Kilwins of all places!) didn’t have weight to lose, but she now is rocking a six-pack and her skin cleaned up. Additionally, she got 5 unbroken kipping pull-ups (from 0), 8 unbroken toes-to-bar (from 0), PRed her mile by 30 seconds, PRed her clean and her 2K row. Her boyfriend participated with her and lost 16 pounds!
- Tibor lost TWENTY pounds and PRed his clean by 10 pounds and snatch by 5 pounds. Running is also easier for him. Additionally, Tibor is a chef, constantly working around temptations but his food log always looked flawless.
- Lindsay lost 12 pounds and a pant size! She reported that eating this way eliminated the afternoon crash and that her energy surged all through the day. She added weight to her lifts in the WODs (10# on the thruster!), went from knee push-ups to our standard push-ups, and PRed her mile by nearly a minute.
- Heather Young, who has already seen success with Paleo, dropped an additional 6 pounds and 6.5 inches…she’s definitely gained some muscle, too. The PRs were rolling and she completed her 90-day goal of a 95# clean.
- Dolf, who didn’t have a weight loss goal, is now leaner than ever before. He reports that his endurance and recovery have greatly improved. Many times, he was able to go from polo practice to CrossFit, something he wasn’t able to handle much before. Because he reduced inflammation by eliminating gluten (specifically for Dolf, bread and beer), his injured shoulders have felt dramatically better. He is ready for the Open!
- Christina, again someone who didn’t need to lose weight, also has some killer abs now. She ended up dropping 2 pounds and 5 inch and began doing muscle-ups again!
- Kelsey PRed her clean and her mile. Because she cut out dairy, she virtually eliminated the need for her rescue inhaler. She bought a grill and did a ton of cooking and actually enjoyed learning new recipes. She ended up losing 8 pounds and, you guessed it, she’s sporting a six-pack!
- Zach, who is 15, lost 11 pounds and is getting ripped! He just started CrossFit, so dove right into this Challenge and did an amazing job (and mom Amy helped by being a supportive cook).
- Shawn L. lost 15 pounds! He looks absolutely amazing. His unpredictable shifts as a firefighter and the fact that his girlfriend is a pastry chef didn’t throw him (Stephanie actually cooked some pretty awesome Paleo meals for him).
- Amanda H. – down 10 pounds!
- Tim lost 6 pounds. This is not the first time he’s done the challenge, but this go-round he ate much more variety and I think it’s going to “stick” this time.
- The following people didn’t tell me how much they’d lost or other changes, but I could tell a big difference in their after photos (PS: everyone looks younger, too), so shout out to: Jim B., Holly, Christiana, Doreen, Joy, Julia, Carrie, Jim A., Mikayla, Kristin and Stephanie W.!
Now…for the winner: DANYA ETTER!
Danya had a pretty rough start to the Challenge. She had been hyperglycemic in the past, but was “fine” on her current diet. Once she started the Challenge, her blood sugar shot so low that she ended up visiting the ER the first weekend (that was a first for us!). The doctor told her to eat breads and go back to her normal (not optimal) diet. She reached out to me and I urged her not to take the doctor’s advice and sent her some information on hyperglycemia and Paleo. We made a plan to make sure she got in enough Paleo carbs to keep her blood sugar stable and she checked in with me regularly. Danya could have taken this doctor’s advice over mine and quit the Challenge, but she wanted to get healthier and do it right. After about two weeks, her blood sugar leveled and is now perfect. Additionally, her past stomach/GI issues are gone. She lost 10 pounds/2 dress sizes, added 10 pounds to her squat clean and front squat, got a rope climb, cleared up her skin and even motivated her co-workers and boyfriend to change their eating habits. I am so proud of her convictions in wanting to take control of her health! Congratulations, Danya!
As the winner, Danya receives $700 in cash plus a free month at CFVB!
Danya’s before and after shots are night and day! But, since I keep them confidential, I stalked her Facebook page to find a photo right before the Challenge and one at the end (from a ceremony where she was nominated for teacher of the year!)…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DISA & PHIN!
Workout of the Day
2 Sets of:
20 strict chest-to-bar pull-ups for time
- rest 45 seconds
30 hand-release push-ups for time
- rest 4 minutes
AMRAP in 5 minutes @ 85% effort of:
5 chest-to-bar pull-ups
5 kb swings 70/55
Midline: accumulate 2 minutes of each -
Hollow body hold
Post your scores to the Whiteboard.